Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Control Issues, who me?

Today is Wednesday June 23rd and Chad is doing really well. Having him home has been wonderful and we've been enjoying every minute. He had to get another blood transfusion yesterday because his hemoglobin level was back down to 7.4, besides taking 6 hours it went just fine. He has lots of doctors visits scheduled because they are still monitoring his blood levels very closely. It's not that bad though, we live very close to the hospital so it's not a big deal to go and we both feel better after they check everything. He had to double up on his daily blood thinning medicine because his blood is still too thick which means he is still at risk for clots. I am sure they will get it straight soon.
He still hasn't had any sign of nausea after his second round of chemo so that's a huge blessing! He's been able to keep the mouth sores under control with a prescription mouth wash so they haven't been bothering him either. The only real side effects so far have been lot's of swelling in his feet and legs and being tired. They say the swelling is normal from being pumped with so much fluid. He has to keep his feet elevated a lot but the swelling goes down when he does. Overall, he is doing really, really good! He's had a good appetite and has been in great spirits.
Justice is in Lynchburg this week, he is attending camp at Chad's parent's church and is loving it! As much as we miss him, we love that he is having a good time. We talk to him everyday and know he's in great hands. He loves being there as much as Chad's parents love having him.

I am doing better, I won't talk much about myself since this is a blog about Chad's journey but I have to admit I have been having a hard time. They say knowledge is power but it seemed the more I read and the more I researched, the more depressed I got. The Internet can be a scary place and too much information isn't always a good thing. I found that the more I read, the further I felt from that peace that God had given me early on. I found myself trying to control everything like what Chad was eating, when he was eating it, when he took his pills, when he slept and..... well you get the point. I got a little crazy. (poor Chad) I had an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach all the time and was filled with fear and doubt. It was horrible.
SO I stepped away from the Internet and the books and the statistics and put my faith and trust right back where it should be, with God, his son, his book and his spirit. From now on, the only research I'm doing will be found in the BIBLE! To some of you this probably sounds extreme or weird but I am telling you I feel a million times better and have that peace back. The peace that tells me everything will be okay because I am NOT in control of Chad's recovery! Thank GOD haha ;)

5 comments:

  1. A you are a strong women and it is always better just to listen to the doctors because every person is different. Chad is a strong man and always has been. You guys are in my prayers. Keep your faith in GOD and everything will be okay.. I love the positive updates and thanks again for keeping us on the up and up..

    Love

    Toy & Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. A, I agree, you are a strong woman! I think that your plan sounds perfect! HE is in control, so sit back and enjoy the fact that Chad is home. So happy that things are going in the right direction! Love, Brooke and Branson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am friends with Melissa and Freddy and I have been following your blog. I just wanted to let you guys know what a testimony it is to read your posts. The strength and faith you guys are showing in the midst of this storm is amazing! I came across this verse a couple days ago and wanted to share. It has encouraged me and hope it will you too.
    Exodus 14:14 "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still" I will continue to keep you guys in my prayers.
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great verse! Thank you Katie! Thank you everyone for your continued support and love.

    Love A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you both well everyday of your lives...

    Will continue to pray for you both.

    God bless you,

    Steph C.

    ReplyDelete